Thursday, April 7, 2011

for Ultimate

...dug up from my old days as an Ultimate Frisbee organizer in Chicago. Enjoy.


The Jabberdisc-y

‘Twas brillig and the Ultimate throws
Did gyre and gimble on the field;
All mimsy were the Frisbee groves,
And the zone raths outzealed.

“Beware the Jabberdisc my son!
The razored edge no one can catch!
Beware its spryling curves, and shun
The frumious hammered snatch!”

He donned his vorpal cleats and water:
Long time that manxsome disc he sought--
So he reclined by the Tumtum sideline,
And stretched a while in thought.

And, as in uffish thought he hydrated,
The Jabber-Disc, with rim of flame,
Through the tulgey field it gyrated,
And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! And through and through!
Those vorpal cleats went snicker-snack!
One leap in the air, he grabbed it there
And went galumphing back.

“And hast thou grabbed the Jabberdisc?!
Come to my arms my beamish boy!
Sweet frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!”
He chortled in his joy.

‘Twas brillig and the Ultimate throws
Did gyre and gimble on the field;
All mimsy were the Frisbee groves,
And the zone raths outzealed.

*************************************
Other small poems:

1) There once were three people at Thanksgivin'
  When the air was exceptionally freezin'
  They played Frisbee for hours,
  'till their limbs lost their powers
  and they had to treated for gangrin'

2) I run like the wind
  my Frisbee flies straight and true
  your fault if we lose.

3) Beloved, prized above all plastic.
  We pray, disc, jiggle not in drastic
  contortions; thou art fair and beauteous
  and bounteous, virtuous, gracious, luscious.

4) Am I worthy to handle Thy rim?
  Is my wobbly forehand a sin?
  Is it wrong to desire,
  without consequences dire,
  that my one-person team gets to win?

2 comments:

  1. I love it! Ultimate Frisbee all the way! it's beginning to get into the right weather for it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, wow! I am so impressed by your poems!!!

    ReplyDelete